Yogic science gives as much importance to certain cleansing processes as it does to asana or pranayama. Without regular cleansing of the system we can’t gain maximum benefits.
Without purification of the body one will not be ready for the higher practices of yoga. When the body is free the mind also functions properly.
Body cleansing is gained through the practice “Shatkarmas” or six purificatory techniques. They are very important from the point of view of physical and mental health, and these simple techniques are also highly valuable in healing internal disorders.
1. Neti: nasal cleansing , including jala neti (water) and sutra neti (thread).
2. Dhauti: cleansing of the digestive tract including danta dhauti (water) and vastra dhauti (cotton clothe)
3. Nauli: abdominal massage.
4. Basti: colon cleaning
5. Kapalbhati: purification and vitalization of the frontal lobes.
6. Trataka: blinkless gazing.
admin May 25th, 2017
Posted In: Yoga Article